Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
QuiltswithConvicts

Originally Posted by sandpat
Today I cut all my "between" tris and cut the fabric for my scallops. I think that I'm going to make the outer scallop border a little wider than it calls for and that I will do it in one piece. I think (I could easily be wrong here) that I can attach a long strip to the outside edge of the tri border strip befor I attach that to the center block portion. I'm not sure...still thinking it through, but I cut it lengthwise so that there wouldn't be any seams in the scallop portion.
I did the scallop border from long pieces. Don't forget the corner kites when you're sewing the tris on - they need to be figured in. I sewed the tri borders on and then the scallop borders. I made them 4" wide by the length of the piece I had which was way longer than what was needed. I drew the sewing line on 1/2" from the edge (figured I could trim it after it was sewn on) and then marked the space for the corner kites and the tri bases with small, short lines. That was so when I pinned the border on, I'd have a match point for each tri/kite.

I marked all the scallops on the border before sewing it on. Also made one large, gentle corner curve. Sewed each piece on and then finished sewing the seams out to the edge of the border. Hand piecing isn't like machine in that you need to stop & backstitch at the end. Can't stitch on & cut after sewing. :)

Worked really well, except that the outside sashings are only 1/4" wide and the inner ones are 1/2". I had a tiny bit of trouble, but you can't tell on the top/quilt now that one was a different size than the other.