Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 AM
mar32428

Originally Posted by raptureready
Can you lower the feed dogs? If so find a darning/ballerina foot that will fit it and you should be able to do any type of free motion that you want. On some old machines there was a nob on the base toward the right that could be turned to raise or lower the feed dogs. On some, you have to lift up the head and there's a thumb screw toward the front near the bobbin holder than you loosen to lower the dogs.
Free motion is easier if you have some grip gloves. You can use the kind that you get at the fabric store or a cheap pair of gardening gloves with rubber dots on them. Just make sure that if you use gardening gloves that they're small enough to fit just a little snuggly so that they don't move around too much.
I use surgical gloves when I garden to keep the dirt out of my nails. I hadn't found anything that was comfortable for me when I quilted. One day, in utter frustration, I tried the SGs and they worked. They fit tight so they don't slip and you have a excellent "feel" for the fabric.