Old 12-01-2010, 10:34 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
I know, it's probably a very "newbie" question. :) lol

I have a regular old Kenmore sewing machine and I have done some quilting on it but only straight lines. Is there a way to do tight curves or scrolls? I see such pretty quilting in the photos section and would love to do something like that. Will I one day have to save up for a $1500 sewing machine or can I somehow use my Kenmore?

Thanks!
Not necessarily, if the feed dogs drop that helps, if not there are coverplates that you may be able to use. I use my 201 straight stitch Singer and even though I can drop the feed dogs I usually don't. Once you get a small darning/quilting foot, you can manuever better, check out big foot or little foot attachments for your appropriate machine shank. I do a lot of ditch quilting on the one Iam working on and just used a walking foot with feed dogs UP. Lots of starts and stops though on the curvey stuff I am outline quilting in the center of my blocks. Iam a QAYG quilter but looking forward to Santa this year and a quilting type machine, (not the pricey ones). Check out you tube for free motion quilting, the person posting the TUTES was patsem, and a link was posted on another thread a few days ago. Very helpful as she used a regular home sewing machine. :-D