Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM
stevendebbie25

Quilts for Cancer Tea
Have a 'sponsor a table' where they decorate or centerpiece the table, and people drop a vote in for their choice, winner gets a prize.

Next, have a quilt show, ALL quilts must be cancer theme (ribbons, etc) and have votes on originality, design, NOT workmanship, giving creativity the award not experience.

After, encourage all quilts to be donated for auction/raffle to the Am Cancer Society or through local Walk for Life.
Have other items either for sale or to be donated and just on display related to cancer that people make. Items like the breast cancer pillow/tote, prayer shawl quilts, ornaments, anything related to any cancer.

Ok, it's not really as involved as you'd think. Free publicity for a project like this. Enough time, 6 months minimum, to give quilters time to create their piece. Registration to get head count, sell a ticket... we used to have a Victorian Christmas (tea & victorian gifts to buy) for a charity, and we have a quilt show & tea locally. This time could also be to get sponsors for table decorations...maybe even local quilt guilds taking a table each, or a quilt shop, or just an individual.

Then a few prizes which could come from the tickets. We have a tea shop and could get things catered, so that cost would be figured in per person tickets.

A speaker for cancer awareness, someone with a little humor, and informative, like a survivor with good attitude. This is your 'entertainment' and have maybe something as a pamphlet to each attending. Contact local cancer clinics, Women's Way (they pay for pap smears & momograms), cancer docs and I'm sure one of them would know the perfect speaker (interesting, not boring lecture).

You could have printed Tshirts or Aprons for the volunteer hostesses pouring tea...and have some extras for people to buy, proceeds going toward cancer again.

Focus a different cancer (color) each year, OR simply stay pink because majority of "tea party" will be ladies. Spring you could do "pink flowers potted plants" all around, and these could become the prizes...for the table vote, a few quilt catagories, a door prize drawing.
Oh so many ideas... ok, my mind won't shut up again, sorry, but I'm bouncing ideas off you ladies here.
Oh, and I used to organize events all the time, and big children's camps, so this isn't over my head, just looking for feedback and ideas. Debbie