View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
MarthaFlood

Hello Everybody!

I'm Martha Flood - the "Infamous" designer in question. I became aware of this dialog through my website. I appreciate everyone's comments, because they are a learning experience for me, and I'd like to give some feedback, if I may. Please, I do not intend to "rob" anybody!

I'm in my mid 50's and have sewed all my life. I have great respect for the sewing arts and I recently joined the Albany chapter of the American Sewing Guild. I learned as a girl from my mother and grandmothers. I understand that quilting fabrics are lighter weight and lower cost fabrics. There's a great quilt shop here in North Adams with lot's of great fabrics.

I'm also a fabric and wallpaper designer with 30+ years experience in manufacturing, so my orientation is more towards manufactured goods rather than hand dyed or painted fabrics. These fabrics are intended for the interiors and specialty higher-end uses. The designs are inspired by patterns and textures that we encounter in the New England woodlands and along country byways, and as such are artistic statements. They're good for seat covers, pillows, shades and bags, etc.

They're much different than you'd find in Joanne Fabrics, and that's what I intended. They are short-run high quality digitally prints on a heavy weight upholstery canvas that's been woven from recycled plastic bottles. All the manufacturing and printing has taken place in the USA. I have a small quantity of the fabrics for sale here in my storefront/studio. They aren't aren't available anyplace else. I can't afford to produce them in mass market quantities. These factors are reflected in a realistic, but high, retail price. Lower priced fabrics that are available in mass market stores are printed in huge quantities overseas.

North Adams Massachusetts, where I'm living and working, is an old industrial city in a beautiful rural and mountainous area. The people here are as friendly, honest and hardworking as anywhere in the country. Many years ago the industrial base left this area leaving abandoned mills and a lot of poverty. One large mill was converted to a world class contemporary art museum, Mass MoCA, others house artist's lofts and small industry. We're also the home of Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. In the summer the Berkshires attract visitors from all over the world. The area has world class music, art, dance and theater, and a thriving artists community.

If you can, I encourage you to visit North Adams, it's beautiful, especially in summer when there's lot's to see and do. Check out http://www.downstreetart.org/

I wish everyone great success in their creative endeavors! I hope you find lots of fabulous fabrics to work with! Most of all, please don't undervalue your work!

Peace, Love, & Happy Quilting,

Martha
http://www.marthaflood.com/