View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
bleighw

I have two FWs and use them both as primary machines for quilting. One is always packed for travel; the other is in a sewing table at home. The book to beat all books is the Nancy Johnson-Srebro latest version on the featherweight. It has everything except the technician's manual, which available online. Singer recommends oiling the about every 8 hours of sewing. NEVER oil the motor area. The Singer lubricant is used in the two small holes of the motor housing. Use a toothpick to clean out dried lubricant from the holes, then seat the singer tube of lubricant into the holes and squeeze until the lubricant tops off. At that point, wipe across the two holes to remove the excess. I lube my featherweights about every 3rd or 4th time I oil. It is really important to do exactly as the instruction books say for where to oil vs. lube. My babies are from the 30's and 40's. I have taught FW maintenance to most friends and frequently take care of their machines for them as well. I have NEVER had the need to open a motor. The book I mentioned is a very thorough reference as well as interesting reading.

When it comes to heavy seams of denim, I switch to my Bernina. My FW's balk at 8 layers of quilters cotten for instance.

There are several quarter inch foot options. Little Foot makes a clear plastic one for FWs and there is a metal 1/4" foot available through Singer.

Oiling your machine is NOT difficult. Get a book and a small screwdriver. Have fun. Your FW will immediately sound happier.