Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by bsktkeeper
Doc told me to use only "special" thread? they didn't have that stuff then. Am I not following what he is saying or is it my Half Hymers??????

how can I get this working again? PLEASE Help
You know that bit about "special thread" is crazy. I sew with any thread I feel like on my FW's. The only thing I can think your repair "Doc" meant is don't use the really cheap stuff you can get a Walmart 2 or 3 spools for nothing. That thread is the stuff they sweep up off the floor when the good threads are made, then it is spun onto spools for really cheap prizes. I think it is called "midlings" or something like that. I never buy cheap thread, it is too fuzzy and will mess up your machine. Always, use good quality thread. Also don't use really old thread. That will fuzz too much too, and it breaks, rots, it is not worth it to spend a bunch of money on quality fabric, spend all your time piecing, sewing - then the first time you wash the quilt the old thread will rot away. I went to my Mother's one day a few years ago, bought her all new thread - enough to get a good start -- and threw away all her really old Dual Duty after taking a class and learning all about thread!

Ok thread police don't yell at me! I am talking about throwing away really old thread! It is not worth taking a chance on your priced quilt falling apart because of 'old' thread!
Nancy