View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM
omak

So!
I have been a Bonnie Hunter admirer for quite a few years, and I thought I had it all figured out.
Well!
I just spent a large part of today working on just cutting out Part 2 - - not because it was difficult, but because I thought I would just skip the math, cut a rough estimate of how many strips I would need and right now, I have 306 pairs of squares waiting to be me marked and stitched, cut apart and then ironed. (I am very generous in estimating - - and, I HATED estimates when I was in school - - if there is a number, one ought to absolutely KNOW how much ...)
but, I digress!
Something I read in one of Bonnie's clues caused a light bulb to go on and I thought I would share what I think I understand about her "system".
She mentioned that if she picks up a strip, she cuts off what she needs, and then continues to cut pieces to feed into her scrap bins, but she never puts a strip back.
I think I finally got it, and started cutting my brown and pink PAIRS of pairs (which had also gone totally over my head), scrambling my pinks as I went along, cutting to the end of the strips (which is another reason I over cut pieces)
and, then I GOT IT!
When I got to the end of the strip, there was not a big enough piece for the chosen design, and so I trimmed it to one of the system sizes and the one thing I didn't have figured out was:
the containers to receive the sizes so I could separate them, but!
If the 15 minute challenge takes hold in my life, I will be making short work of the little pieces by stitching them together for a different kind of block for seed for another quilt.
And, my learning continues!<wave>