View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Nolee

Originally Posted by karenfae
I am new to the board but not new to scrap quilts. Scrap quilting can make some of the most beautiful quilts around. I have been trying to make the most of my scraps and one of the most helpful hints I can give anyone is to save, save, save. I do not know how many quilts I have made from scraps. I have very few large pieces of fabric in my sewing room - most are fat quarters or under (yes I do have some bolts but those are mainly background fabrics). With the economy the way it is all of our scraps will come in handy in years to come. Fabric prices are going through the roof - we in the states are lucky - yes lucky to pay the prices we do when I hear how high the prices are for fabric in Europe, Canada, Australia and many other places - I can not believe how high the prices are - we are talking $20 a yard or more!!
Try to organize your scraps in some matter so that you will use them. Keep them where you won't be able to forget them!
For the past year and continuing into next year I intend to make scrap quilts and only will be purchasing backing and backgrounds. I would piece backings but I hand quilt and do not want the extra seams to go through.
Our local quilt shop has started a section in the back for discount bolts. They are all $3.99 a yard and beautiful Moda and Benartex type fabrics plus she has fat quarters for $1.25. Yesterday I bought 20 gorgeous fall fat quarters she had for $1.00 each. From now on that is the first thing I am going to ask when I walk in a quilt shop, if they have a section like this. In a few weeks she said all Christmas fabric will be there. YIPPEE......great time to start next year's Christmas quilt.