View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Nita

Yum, Renee, this sounds delish!
Especially with the roast garlic ... I love the sweetness of roast garlic and use it often. Those rotisserie chicks are sure a time savor when you don't have time to roast your own chicken (and no oven clean up besides) Can I substitute minced ginger from the jar? Would 1" fresh ginger be equal to about a tsp minced? Fresh ginger is not something I use on a regular basis and I usually end up throwing it out, but I have found that jar minced ginger tastes good and has a long shelf life in my refrig. Now the big question: Did you REALLY mean 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes??? Yipes, that would sure give it a "kick", huh? I might need to cut back on that since DH doesn't care for food that is real hot. Thanks for this recipe. I make soup & breadmaker bread every week during the winter months and I cannot wait to try this. Nita

Originally Posted by Renee110
This is a recipe that I made up last year.

1 whole head of garlic
1 inch of ginger root
1 box of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice and Mushroom
1 onion
3 stalks celery
salt
red pepper flakes
1 can of cooked chicken breast or rotisserie chicken
6 cups chicken broth or boullion
olive oil

Cut top off of garlic, place in foil, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Saute onions, celery and grated ginger in olive oil. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp red pepper. When vegetables are soft, add box of wild rice and saute several minutes until rice is toasted. Add 2 cups chicken broth and cook for 20 min.

Take your roasted garlic, mash with a fork and add to rice mixture. Add remaining 4 cups of broth and simmer several minutes. Add cooked chicken.

It really does make a difference when you roast garlic, as opposed to adding chopped garlic. The roasted garlic is sweet and chopped sauteed garlic is not. You could do either, but the outcome of the taste will be different. :)