View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Edie,
I'm so sick you were exposed to something like this!
But I have been on the internet for nearly 20 years and have rarely seen this sort of thing because I make sure the settings within my computer catch most of it before it comes through to me.
Try this:
On the lower left of your screen, click on START
Click on MY COMPUTER.
Click on Internet Options.
Click on PRIVACY in the little blue tabs along the top of that little window.
Under the first section, click on the little bar that slides up and down and move it to the 4th-from-the-bottom position where it will read "medium high".
In the next section in that same window, where it says SETTINGS or Pop up blocker, check the little box to prevent most popups from appearing on your screen.
In the next section marked InPrivate, at the bottom of the little window, click the "Disable toolbars and extensions..." box.
You're done. You *may* have to restart your computer for these changes to take effect, but this should help you.

Also, do you have a security program on your computer? Something like Norton or McAfee? You can install aVast! for free, but don't do that if you have another anti-virus or security already installed. aVast! can be found by googling it online. They offer a free AND a paid version, but the free version is amazing enough for most of us.

Best of luck,
Jan in VA