Old 12-04-2010, 06:30 AM
candi

About two years ago, I didn't know anything about sewing, quilting or sewing machines. We were working in Boise, ID for three months and my husband and I had conflicting work schedules that I had a lot of free time, I was looking for something to fill the free time I had. We happened to be staying near a quilt shop that I passed very often and noticed that they were advertising beginner quilt classes...Keep in mind I knew nothing about any of that, but I was intrigued, long story short I signed up for the class series.

I had no sewing machine, never even touched one. The teacher lent me one of her spare sewing machines to take home so I can do some work on the quilt we were working on. Imagine someone who knows nothing about anything trying to learn many tricks. Anyway, I got it figured out with a lot of help from the teacher and the hubby.

That machine was an older Bernina, I can't remember the model.
I finished my quilt top on that machine, put the top away, and gave the machine back.

A little over a year later, I decided that I want to get back to quilting and purchase my own machine. I started shopping around. Test drove three or four machines, I can't remember if Janome was one of them. Having nothing to compare to but that old Bernina, I was shocked by how "loud" the other machines were, and they felt very light. I thought my memory was failing me about the Bernina sewing experience, so I went to a Bernina dealer and test drove one...my husband who was with me through the whole shopping ordeal said "Get the quiet Bernina." That was that!

And for the record, that teacher must be a saint, I would never loan my Bernina to anyone, much less some girl who knew nothing about nothing when it came to sewing. :) I love my Bernina, for someone who is challenged in the sewing area, I appreciate the easy to use, sturdy and quiet machine. I could sew while my husband is sleeping in the same room. :thumbup: And I've never had a minute of trouble with it.