Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Quilter7x

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000 that I bought new about 13 years ago. The machine is very user friendly and has the features I wanted the most: knee lift lever, needle threader, low bobbin sensor and embroidery (although a very small field compared to today's machines). It has the top loading bobbin, which is nice to see how much bobbin you have left. It's a heavy machine, so I have a Jem Platinum that I take to classes. I do all my piecing on the MC 9000, it's so easy to use. This machine does OK FMQ, not great. Oiling is done at the dealer. I will keep this machine forever.

I asked my local dealer about Bernina's and he said Bernina is known for beautiful stitches, so I got a used Bernina 180E this past spring. I do all my FMQ on it and it really does live up to the reputation of doing beautiful stitches. The dealer says that front loading bobbin system makes a difference in stitching for FMQ. I’ve done very little with the embroidery unit, but it appears to do really nice embroidery and has a much bigger field than the Janome, even though they are about the same age. I do have to oil this machine.

I never thought I would get anything other than a Janome because I have had such good luck with two Janomes. Now that I have both, I can see the advantages of each and I'm very happy having both set up in the sewing room so that I can use them for their benefits.

On the Bernina foot pedal, you can tap your heel to put the needle in either the up/down position. My Janome doesn't have that. The Janome has a low bobbin sensor, my Bernina doesn't (the newer ones might). Interestingly, my hubby thinks the Janome is a better made machine (more metal), but I've heard that the Swiss made Berninas are well made.

Create a list of things you MUST have, then test drive the two brands of machines. It will make it easier to make up your mind. Good luck! :thumbup: