Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
oldswimmer

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I live in an area where there is a lot of cotton - what I've heard is that other crops are just paying better right now to grow, so not as many people are growing it. This is in part because of the demand (and corresponding higher price) for crops that can be used to produce ethanol for "greener" fuels.
Around here almost all the farmers are growing more and more corn...because it is at a very high price right now. You should see the piles and piles of corn that they have to put on the ground because the elevators have no more room to take it. They are paying high prices for corn, so none of the farmers are storing it and having to wait for a fair price. I live close to the county fairgrounds, and last year there were about 5 big piles of corn sitting on the ground...this year there is close to 20 or more. We have had SO many ethanol plants pop up over that past few years....it scares me. I am not on board with all the ethanol "push", for several reasons, and don't buy it at the pump. I do believe that all the corn being grown for ethanol has limited the corn being grown for food products, and that boils down to higher food prices for the consumer. JMO