Old 12-04-2010, 09:47 AM
OmaForFour

My quilt guild, The MDI Quilters, in Bar Harbor, ME does pro bono quilts for non profit organizations on our island (Mt. Desert Island). We would be glad to receive any tops that you don't want and finish them to use as pro bonos. We have sent quilts to hospital, and rehab organizations as examples. The organization receiving them runs a raffle and thereby makes it into a fundraiser. We usually do one a year because of putting them together, but with tops already done, we could do a whole bunch.
PM me if you are interested. We will certainly make sure you get recognition for this if you do send them.

Originally Posted by himnherr
My friends father recently died. We were at lunch one day and she says "I wish I knew someone who is into quilting." Umm.... I haven't seen her in awhile so she had no idea of my new found hobby. I jumped on it and she said when she goes to get her mom in NY she'll bring me a van load of "stuff". Well, I picked it up yesterday. In it was 3 sewing machines (already found homes for them), 30 quilt tops finished, ready to be tied (at least that's what he did with them when he finished them), a stash of fabric and thread and rulers, templates, rotary cutters, blades, bobbins and cases, and other assorted "stuff"! Trust me, I know what to do with everything but the quilt tops. haha! I picked out about 8 that I want to keep, a couple of my friends may want a few others, but there's no way we will get rid of all of them. My friend is totally happy to have them donated to a charity- I've googled various ones, but I really don't know of any that will take just a quilt top- unfinished. They are all finished to the extent that each seam is top stitched- some with fancy stitching, some just straight stitching. They seem to be all cotton - some are coordinated scrappies, some are just scrappies. They range in sizes from lap size to King! I attached just a couple of the small ones to show- the big ones are too big to spread out for pictures. :-D