View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Marvlin

Originally Posted by sandyl
If you had about $2000-$3000 to spend on a sewing machine that you can quilt on, which machine would you buy? I don't really care much about applique (a little would be nice) my primary wish is for the quilting. Don't think I could find a Bernina in that price range, but what about a Husqvarna? I want the wider throat on any machine I would buy.
Thanks,
I have the Husqvarna Viking Designer I, Designer II Quilting Machine and the Designer SE/LE. I quilt on all of them depending on what I am doing. I would not have bought the Designer II if I had known how good the Des. I and SE would do on quilting. On my heavier quilts I always bring out my old Bernine 1230 (25 yrs. old) and go to town. This machine is a work horse and has never let me down. I would look at several shops and fish for the best buy for your money. If you "test" drive all of the machines you will know the feel when you see it. With a budget of 2/3K you should be able to find a really good machine. I bought two of my machines second hand from dealers and didn't have a moments problem with either one of them. I would certainly shop price wise because there are a lot of machines out there and if quilting is all you really want a machine for you won't have to pay for all of the bells and whistles which come on a lot of the machines out there. I find myself doing only certain things on all of my machines and that way I don't have to adjust or readjust every time I sit down to sew. I wish you the very best on your journey to find just the right "girl" for you. Be sure to let us know what you find out there and what you decide on.