View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
jstitch
Banned

Originally Posted by skacian
I have decided not to have either of these quilt tops from my great-grandmother appraised. The way I look at it, there is no monetary value that could be greater than the value of having these beautiful quilt tops that my great-grandmother so lovingly hand-pieced. She had many many great-grandchildren, so I am the lucky one that fate chose for me to be the recipient of her handiwork.
I think that is OK, as they will never be appraised at a value that will match the value of them to you personally.. Im not saying that they have no worth, just that the monetary value of them , when quilted, will never outweigh the value that you place on them..

However, there are several kinds of appraisals.. You should think about having them appraised for insurance purposes, after you have quilted them. This is important.. I lost over 300 antique quilts and tops in my fire and the insurance company has a set value that they pay for quilts.. unless you have the appriased documentation. Wait until they are completed and think about it again.