Thread: WOW! In shock.
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 AM
applique

Originally Posted by bluekrissyspikes
i live in canada and i find the prices insane!! most things are marked at $15-$25/meter at fabricland and even more at my local quilt shop. BUT i have a rule. never buy anything full price. they usually have good sales, right now they have a huge 40% off sale. even that doesn't entice me though. right now they are going to be bringing in new fabrics so i found myself quite a lot of good deals on the clearance tables. they can be a pain to look through but the fabrics that were $15-20 last week are now $3/meter. and there are a lot of them too, nice ones. all their tartans went onto the clearance table too. so i scored big time. i spent about $200 @ $3-4/meter. (: i really want batiks though. i founds some online somewhere at a clearance price $2.33/y and got a few but the selection kindof sucked because they were so picked over. anyways, for those of us stuck in canada where everything costs an arm and a leg, be thrifty!! watch for things to go on sale at the end of the season and spend some time scrounging through the clearance stuff. it's well worth the extra time you have to spend looking to save so much.
You may not be interested in this, but I thought I would propose it anyway. If you buy white fabric like the Kona prepared for dying and some fabric paints and ink. Mix them in a spray bottle and make your own batik like fabric. I did it for the 12 grays I needed in my avatar. Only one gray was a true batik and that had to be sprayed to go with the others. My old moose avatar had painted sky and water. You can paint on them or stamp them before or after spraying. Throw salt on them for an interesting pattern or other objects for sun dying. The fabric is fairly cheap and the paints last for quite a while, or you can get together and buy them as a group. The ink I use is expensive now but I use it to add depth although not necessary. Everything gets heat set washed and dried. Prewashed sheets will work too or men's white shirts. Just a thought!

I was selling sky fabrics to the left in my booth.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138535[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138530.jpe