View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Moonpi

jstitch, I download pictures from here to get a better look. Generally, I don't even keep the jpg file - I just want to see the details that I can't see on my browsers.

As an artist at various times in my life, I have had my work copied and used without my permission. It devalued MY hard work in coming up with idea, pattern, and execution. When I met and confronted the person who did it, she "tee-heed" and said I had "inspired her"

I've had clients turn down logo designs, saying they "changed their minds", only to see my design show up on their business cards months later. It is hurtful.

Most of the patchwork I do is combinations of time-worn patterns. Applique designs usually come out of my own head, then onto paper. If I have inspiration from someone, I talk to them about permission.

One thing I see happening that bothers me is people claiming copy rights on old patterns. One in particular is the mock cathedral window, which I learned in the 70s, now being renamed and claimed as "owned" by several different individuals.