View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 03:08 PM
jstitch
Banned

Originally Posted by babeegirl
If I see a quilt either in a book, shop, online, or in a magazine and I go home, get out my graph paper, draw it up for myself, make it then put it on my wall or couch, I doubt the quilt police are going to batter down my door. What's at the heart of this discussion is intent. ]If what you want to make is for you and that's the intended purpose, then what "law" has been broken? none that I can think of. Let's face it, as quilters we are inspired by the work of others, whether it be a color scheme, a block layout, or a technique. Don't be scared to try out something new that you see, because in all truth, aside from art quilts, there's probably not one truly new block that hasn't been done already. Do you NEED to always buy the pattern? I say no. Just because something is published doesn't mean I'm obligated to purchase it when I'm perfectly capable of recreating it for myself. My intent just for me. Now, putting that same quilt I just made either on a website, or in a show, would obligate me to credit my ispiration or the original creator of where I got my idea. Then, the copyright scenario comes into play. If I did that, then my intent would be to gain recognition or credit for myself. Do you see where I'm going with the intent?
Babeegirl, I believe that is what has been said here. As I said in my original post, drafting your own version of a block is not stealing.. or even putting the same blocks together into a quilt...or using the same coloring and values.. all fine in my book..

The stealing comes in from copying original works, and some block quilts are very original, taking credit, free distribution of purchased patterns, and copying a piece of original art from another medium..