View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
dallison532

Keeping old sewing machines is a historical activity. I have the 1920's treadle owned by my aunt, my mother's 1929 Singer, plus old machines picked up here and there over the years. A few years back I was in charge of my historical society's entry into the Historical Pavilion at The Northern Maine Fair. I set up a display of these vintage sewing machines, and won first prize for my historical society! Men, in this farming community, have kept their old tractors, even bought broken down vintage machines, restored them, put them on exhibit, give rides on them at the fair! Vierwers love to see artifacts. They stand in awe, both seamstresses and farmers, as they think in reverance, of how much work was done with those simple machines in times passed.

Another thing some men don't get is why women persist in cutting up perfectly good lengths of fabric into little pieces, then sewing the back together! Oh, the put downs those men dream up. I had one man who was an accomplished, and very artistic wood worker, accost me one time on that very question. I looked at him with scorn, raised eye brows, and retorted. "What is the difference between you cutting down a tree, cutting it up into small pieces to make a chair, or a hutch, or a table, and my cutting up fabric to make a suit, or a dress, or a contrivance to keep me warm at night?" He slithered off, red faced. Never again did he needle me, or other quilters whom he knew.