View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 PM
jstitch
Banned

Originally Posted by shellyp
Originally Posted by Janeen
he did say that if I wanted to SELL somethings with his designs we could possibly work something out.

there are a blue gazillion patterns in the public domain, fabric manufacturers give away awesome patterns on their websites (free for the download)..
I want to take selling out of the whole thinking. I know there is a thread on this board about copyrights and selling things. I'm just talking about making 1 or 2 things for myself, my family, or my friends.

With that many patterns out there....how do I know that a design that I came up with isn't already out there somewhere? How do I know that its an original? I really don't. Whos to say that on one site its free but on a different site, in different colors (the ones I'd like to do), its a pattern their selling? This is where I'm totally confused!!!! :? :? :?
shelly, if you are talking about any basic pieced block, you are free to draft your own, make the block , make a quilt, for yourself, friends, family and even sell the work.. I doubt you are going to get into trouble doing that. The real problem arises in original art and that is where the trouble begins...some things are obviously someone elses creation..
I believe that there is very little in the way of pieced blocks that are original and they have been used, borrowed and reborrowed many times over..
babeegirl is right we did get rather deep here, but that indicates that there are some serious issues with copying..do draft up all the blocks you want, but dont copy GKs clock quilt...its not a block but an original..