Thread: WOW! In shock.
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Momsmurf

Originally Posted by Lilyized
I keep seeing "the price of cotton is going up".

At the end of October, when I was driving through N. Carolina with a friend, I wondered why there was cotton still in the fields, being rained on. My friend explained that the Govt. pays some growers to let it rot in the fields so as to control the price of cotton. Has anyone else (in NC) heard about this, or understand why they wouldn't pick the so needed cotton they grow?
So true...that applies to so many other crops and I've personally could never understand it. If I went through all the trouble and cost of growing the stuff, I'd harvest it and store it. Heck, I'm getting paid to let it rot anyway - which is so disgusting in my mind. "Waste not, want not." In my way of thinking, a shortage means not enough was grown (as in this case) not a government created one.
Reminds me of when there was a sugar "shortage" and when the shortage was over the sugar bags were rock hard and the sugar had to be literally hammered loose. That comes from being stacked and stored in a warehouse for a long period of time. Wonderful!