View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 AM
clem55

[quote=ghostrider]
Originally Posted by clem55
appliques, but you do want the lighter weight fusible if using on a quilt. Some of the more heavier fusibles make things too stiff. so if you plan to use on a quilt, test out a smaple piece first. I didn't the first time and was quite disappointed that my large appliques were too stiff.
I think you mean using fusible web not fusible interfacing for appliqué. The purpose of fusible interfacing is to add stiffness. Fusible web is simply an adhesive.

There are many types and weights of interfacing and that will determine what it is used for. Do you know what brand and product number you bought?[/quote

I actually wanted to use the interfacing. I didn't want my edges to fray, and I didn't want background fabric showing through. I then used a glue stick to hold them in place when sewing. After my first one, I found a very lightweight fusible interfacing that actually was described to me for using on appliques for quilts. It served my purpose and worked just fine. I also have used the wonder under or stitch witchery for appliques, but found either worked just fine. Her question was about using interfacing, not webbing.