View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 03:36 PM
jstitch
Banned

Originally Posted by justquiltin'
jstitch and moonpi,
You two seem to be the experts on this, so I'll ask you to clarify something for me...
You're saying that if I buy the book -- let's say I subscribe to Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine -- then I have permission to make the quilts, even for sale? Is that right? Or is it OK for me to make them for personal use/gifts only?
I have much more experience in copyright with sheet music, so this is a whole new area for me. And it's not at all the same.
Thanks for your patience and experience here.
Well, Id love to hear Moonpi weigh in on this too.

The patterns are owned by the magazine. Most of the time, what is published in a magazine as a pattern is assumed for you personal use. If you want to make it for sale, they are protected by copyright law. Mostly this is to protect someone from taking the design and mass producing it for sale.

If you make one for your sister, and charge her for your time, you probably arent going to get in trouble, but if you are making a dozen to sell in a craft sale, it begins to cross the line. If I want to make one to sell, or to make for an opportunity quilt, Ill ask permission. It is the right thing to do.

However, many times a magazine will publish a picture of an inovative work and no pattern.. That is not OK to reproduce. As a matter of fact, many times you will find a comment in the magazine to that effect if you read the fine print.

As in music,,,a traditional tune, in the public domain is free for you to use and create your own composition of the tune.. that composition is yours and subject to copyright law.. someone else cant record your version or composition of the tune without your permission.. Would you give it,, probably..maybe even get some commission for it...

My opinion only