View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Moonpi

Miss Tami, there are tons of free blocks without copyright issues at all. The problems begin when people take credit for designs that are not theirs. Early on, when I first joined the board, there were some very heated threads on the subject.

I expect it to be a problem as long as their are designers, designs, and people who think just because they CAN do something, that they are entitled to. It is the same argument as movie performers have with bootleg Chinese DVDs, and musicians run into with downloads from certain websites. I have actually had a couple of people get snippy with me when they requested I send them a link to a pattern I used, when it was drawn out on a paper bag while watching my cat sit in a window. If I had the means to get it into a file for the person who requested it, how do I know that it will not be "unattributed" and become public property, or claimed as someone else's work?

I think it will be even more of a problem going forward, as longarmers are producing some kick*ss designs on tops made by others, and sometimes designed by another party entirely. It is possible that a single quilt could have 2 designers and 2 people executing the designs. If another person custom dyed the fabric, or an artist embellished the final work, it could end up with a list of credits like a movie!!! I think that is one reason why -for good or bad - I do mine every step of the way. I have bought patterns and books over the years,, but use them more as technique tutorials and eye candy.