View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 AM
lfw045

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
"Any artist in any medium should realize and accept that if they put their designs in a magazine or on the internet that they are going to be copied by anyone who likes them and chooses to try and reproduce them in a quilt in their chosen colors. "

sooooo ... because i know there are muggers out there somewhere, i should never leave my house? and if i do leave, and do get mugged, it's my fault? interesting logic. :?

please follow these links to some very useful and informative articles on the subject of copyright.

http://qnm.com/copyright/index.html
http://www.phoebemoon.com/copyright_concerns.htm
http://www.copyright.gov/

Let's leave the sound bites to the politicians please......LOL.

I will also say this. Any artist in any medium should realize and accept that if they put their designs in a magazine or on the internet that they are going to be copied by anyone who likes them and chooses to try and reproduce them in a quilt in their chosen colors. It is a compliment for crying out loud. That is one aspect that I have never been able to wrap my brain around. They put their art out there for all to see and compliment and give them kudos for but by golly you better not make a copy of it even just for yourself.........selling for profit I can understand and agree with. Makes no sense to me. They should just keep if for themselves and be done with it and not tempt the rest of us who like to make nice things for ourselves.........sorry..........I'm off my soap box now.........LOL.

If you would like to flame me for my opinion, please do it with a colorful quilt picture........LOL!
My apologies if I offended anyone with my opinion. I certainly would not knowingly copy anyone's work without permission or giving them credit for it if I used it in anyway. Please don't think that I ever would.

I was just pointing out ( rather badly obviously) that the above scenerio does happen, especially in the age of the internet and any artist that doesn't think that it does is really......well I'll keep that opinion to myself. I am apparently in enough trouble here for expressing my opinion.....LOL.

My point is this.........there are not enough quilt police in this world to catch each and every copyright infraction in the quilt world so why not just enjoy our craft, give credit where credit is due and just have fun in the process.

And yes patrice, if someone knew for a fact that there were muggers in their neighborhood and they went out of their house without a really big stick or some kind of protection and they got mugged........well......there I go with my opinion again.......LOL.......I got to learn to keep my sarcasm to myself........ :lol:

I love you guys........I'll keep my opinions to myself in the future on these types of subjects.......at least the sarcastic ones........ :lol:

Linda D.