View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
What if you can't find a metallic needle? Is there a "next best option"?
I just finished some FMQ on some place mats with Superior metallic and had a few tension issues and had to unpick - I just realised that I forgot to change my needle so had my regular 75/11 piecing needle in there! :oops: :lol: So my advice would be definitely get some metallic needles - I use Schmetz metallic 90/14 (when I remember!) I only use Superior, I woudn't trust anything else but then I've never tried another brand sooo... :mrgreen: Two more tips - don't put the top thread through the last guide before the needle, and if you can lay your spool in a pot at the same height as the spool holder (I have a little drawer unit that I open and lay the trhead in there), on it's side so the thread comes off the top of the spool, it puts a lot less strain on the thread. I also had the metallic in the bobbin and no problems- they say to reduce your tension right down but mine is fine on 2.5. Experiment on scraps til your happy with the balance. For FMQ you have to go a bit slower - I find it's more prone to eyelash if I swoop too quickly round corners. :-D