Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I will admit sewing/quilting is getting to be expensive. I got to thinking instead of making it myself just buy it instead. But all of that thinking went out the window when I went to visit my nephew and his family.

I had made quilts for the two great nieces and one quilt for nephew and wife's bed.

As I was visiting some friends had come over. Yvonne, niece in law, was showing friends the house. "What a gorgeous bedspread!" My niece replied, "My Aunt Debbie made that for us. Come let me show you everything she has made for the family. My Aunt Debbie is so amazing!" I had tears in my eyes because of all the pride she had in her voice. I know it was genuine because she had no idea I was anywhere close enough to hear her.

Later, during the visit, we had all went to the dragstrip. My nephew and brother (his dad) built a racecar together. My brother is small in stature. Since he is the "pitboss" he has to carry several things with him. Once he gets everything together he suffers from "plumbers pants". I made a special vest for all his stuff. On the back of the vest I embroidered PIT BOSS and an outline of their car. At the strip, my brother put on his vest, got it all loaded up. During the races, I saw my brother talking to someone and showing them all the features of the vest. Then they came over to where I was setting. My brother put his arm around my shoulders and said, "This is my sister, the brains behind the vest." The man shook my hand and said, "I would love to have someone like you in my family." My brother said, "Nope, God only made one and I was the lucky one to get her!"

Needless to say, now I make everything I can, and try to figure out how to make the things I can't.
This is the reason to make the gifts and not to buy! Plus I like the look I get from the recipient when they find out that I made it on a 100 year old plus sewing machine! You cant get that kinda love from a department store!!!

Billy