View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Quilter2B

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You can not violate copyright by making your own quilts. You can violate copyright if you take "inspiration" from a magazine, quilt, picture, etc and then print and sell the patterns. It is the patterns that are copyrighted.
Would this also apply to technique? Just wondering??? I'm not talking about how you cut it or how you quilt it - I'm referring to methods of putting it all together, like the Twist & Shout technique, the bursting stars put together with diamond shapes, the kalidescope, whack & stack - that type of stuff. Not sure if really making any sense :oops:

For example, I've seen pics two wall hangings published in two different books/mags, based on a 3 x 3 pineapple block - colors placements were a slightly different but layouts obviously was pretty much the same; each maker called it a different name. I did a Twist & Shout earlier this year but the color placements I chose bears no resemblance to the pattern I followed - hence my ??? Now I'm rambling trying to explain myself. Oh boy . . . .