View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Marcia

Originally Posted by Marcia
I agree. I have seen quilts or blocks that I thought "Hey, I can make that" without purchasing the pattern. I often get ideas from other quilts I see. I do not think it is stealing. I call it inspiration.
Originally Posted by Janeen
ok, say you design a NEW block (hard to do in this day and age) and you LOVE IT.. and again, you agonize over the color/fabric/quilting choices and when finished you have a gorgeous one-of-a-kind quilt that you are so proud of, and every body who sees it says, 'WOW that's fantastic!'

and you post a photo on here because, naturally you are tickled to death with it and so proud of it, and have never done anything quite so gorgeous in your life and are fit to burst with joy over the thing...

and two weeks later somebody else who said, 'wow, I love that and I can do that' posts an identical quilt...

that's what it's all about... are you going to say, 'hey, that's fine, I'm flattered' or are you going to say, 'wait a minute, that was MY personal design' ??
I was the second person to reply to this thread and had no idea it was going to take off this way. Janeen, I am not sure if you are referring to my comment in yours, but I would like a chance to explain further what I meant by my comment.

I would NEVER begin to even dream about stealing someone else's original idea. When I said "Hey I can make that without purchasing a pattern" I was not referrring to anything original. I get ideas for quilts by looking at an interesting layout for log cabin blocks (like Shelley or gcathie or bebe's quilts) or using a very large single star block as an entire lap quilt (like Tigerbaby), or using a combination of two public domain blocks that together make an unusual pattern.

I would not need to purchase a pattern for these quilts because the blocks are free for the taking on the internet. I am smart enough to do the math to change dimensions to meet my own needs. THIS is what I meant about it being inspiration and not stealing.

If ANYONE on this board took my comments to be anything other than this, I apologize to you. I have a room full of books, patterns and magazines that attest to the fact that I have pretty much never had an original quilting idea in my life and am willing to pay handsomely for those who do :D

I am sorry to see that sspingler deleted all her photos from the board and quit. I am sure that it was not anyone's intention to offend her. If I played a part in it, then I am sorry. :cry: