View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM
fleurdelisquilts.com

Sure the copyrights apply to techniques. Each of those particular techniques are owned by the persons who "invented" them. I would say if you've read about the technique or saw someone demonstrate it, or if it's fairly new, then it's also owned. That means you can't make copies, claim it's your original idea, or teach it without giving credit, paying for the book or pattern, etc.

Let's say you come up with a great time-saving solution, you post the technique on this board and your blog. Someone from the local newspaper reads it and interviews you. There's an article in the paper, and it's picked up by a service and printed in other papers. Eventually, someone from a quilt show reads the article and then you get the opportunity to show people what you've done on TV. Next, quilt shows start calling you and begging you to come in and give presentations/workshops. You get paid nicely (thank you) and a book company wants you to write a small book on the subject. You get paid better. But now I come along and start teaching your technique without your permission. I make the money you would make.

Now ask yourself:
Would you try to stop me?
Would it be enough that I gave you credit?
Would it be okay if I sold copies of your book and make money, too?
If you're really kind, would you let me sign the book while I'm selling it?
There has to be a line.......where is it drawn?