View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
jstitch
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Lucky Patsy's "Mom wrote:

Technique or style is not protected under copyright laws, so it is permissible to make a quilt inspired by Picasso's work or style because it will be substantially different from the original.

Not true. This is called "derivative work" and the copyright laws are very specific about it. You cannot just change colors or even the medium and be worry free. Here are some copyright myths explained.
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Artists in all media have to expose their art to the public in order to eat. It's that simple. They have the right to be protected from those who copy their ideas and claim them as their own. Most of us will grant individuals sigular use of the work, be it a quilt pattern or graphic image or whatever, but you do not have the right to assume it has been granted just because we put it out to public view. To have your work copied without receiving acknowledgement for your efforts, be it financial or other recognition, is not a compliment. It is stealing.
My original post was a paraphrase of a portion of an article I read in Quilters Newsletter Magazine on the topic of copyright law only two days before this thread started! If the professional periodicals aren't getting it right, no wonder we are all confused!
Patsy's Mom

You are correct, and just because you read it in a magazine it isnt always correct..I have read the copyright laws and review some of the law suits brought about and the decisions handed down.

The hard part of all of this is it is intrepretation of the law. and from personal experience that is very subjective, and all judges do not objectivly apply the laws..

The best course of action is to use your common sense and dont copy something that is unique or appears unique unless you ask.. simple. If you ask and get a yes, you are good to go, if you get a no, move on to something else.. and if it comes from your own creativity, just go for it.