Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Marvlin

[quote=eaglebeak1960]Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

You know Chris, ignorance is all over this world we live in and I am very sure your area is not the only place who feels its alright to insult people. You need to go back to this particular shop one more time, ask for help and when you are mistreated or ignored be sure to tell them there are many places you can get help, and served with a willing heart and giving soul. I am sorry to hear you have been treated badly or not in a very caring way but that is not your problem and maybe these people are just not suited to work with the public. If you have one ill-mannered person in a business the entire shop will be affected. I have learned so much on this site and hope you will give a real good look at some of the tutorials, they are very easy to see from the pictures posted.

If you hear of a quilt class being given, call, register using only your first name, could have your wife do this for you, then just show up. After they have accepted your money they can't throw you out. Then make sure you are one of the best students there ! ! ! ! !

Quilting is an art all by its self but when you have someone who really wants to become a more accomplished quilter their work will usually out shine most others. Hang in there and don't give up.

Contact some of the women in your community who might know good, accomplished quilters who would be glad to share your talent with you. Your wife can do this research for you and I am sure she can also talk with ladies who can help you. A lot of churches have quilting groups and they all enjoy showing someone how to improve their skills.

I am sorry you were shuned and not helped as you deserve to have been. Your money will spend at a good shop just like it will at a bad one. Good Luck