View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM
jstitch
Banned

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
Judy,

Would you consider what Boston did "stealing"? I have done this also.

I must say I too am a little nervous of posting things here now. I don't want to get in trouble for "stealing". My dh just came in and said he dropped and broke our camera so I won't be posting pictures anyway. Wish I could LOL.

How is this different from recipes? I have recipes for KFC chicken and their coleslaw. I have Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookies. etc.

I am really confused now.
Oh my, how did I get to be the expert on this subject..

Please know that I am in no way an expert... I have read the law, it is available online for anyone to read... I have also reviewed some of the results of others suits..

So, this is my opinion only....

I think that what Boston did is a very grey area in this issue.. did she steal? no, she drew her own design based on one she saw.. she didnt even take a picture.. did she copy, yes, she copied the basic idea... is it against the law.. .dont know, is she selling her version of the pattern? I dont think so.. so will she get in trouble, Im going to say no...

But, here is what I have seen happen..

Someone designed a very unique quilt for which they received awards and recognition. Photos were published in a magazine, but no pattern.
Some time later, at a quilt show, a very close copy was noticed hanging in the show..It was definately a copy and that person was prosecuted for copyright infringement.

I really dont want to influence people from excersizing their creativity nor from sharing their projects.. I have not taken my pictures down from this board and do not intend to..

I do have patterns for some of my projects that I sell. And I have noticed that some of the pictures of those projects have been downloaded from this board...If I were to see that quilt or pattern being sold somewhere, I would have a case for copyright infringement. If I see someone has made it, how would I know if they bought the pattern or not? I don't.

So a lot of people copy in many forms as the technology today makes it easy. Grab the pic, enlarge, make a tracing and whalaa you have my pattern.. I figure if you want to go to that much trouble rather than pay me the $4.50 I charge for my patterns.. you got more time than money and you have a problem and I cant stop you

I cant sell patterns without posting pictures of the project.. so it is a risk we all have to take...

I dont think that we should be afraid to show our work...
I have tried to figure out how to post my pics in the HTML instead of the attachments, but havent figured it out yet..

And I do have questions for admin about some of the language about using this board and posting on it.. but that is another matter