Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 AM
twistedsheets

Because I have 14 OTR years in people are asking me about schools and the laws and some of the crazy @@@ things instructors are telling them about laws and things they need to include in apps for employment. If you are or have some one in family or friend thinking of doing this please listen. Go to a school? Most who have no one who can each them on the road should. PLEASE check out the dredentials of these schools thoroughly before signing on. MAKE SURE there are thoroughly accredidated and recognized in their State. Not one that has instructors like my EX in Illinois who could not make it in trucking and fired from almost all jobs he had.That they are current and up-to-date on ALL DOT LAWS!!!!That each and every instructor holds and is current with his own CDL and a licensed instructor again up-to-date credentials to be teaching. Check with the DMV and if they can not tell you have them refer them to the appropiate dept or place these schools are governed by.Remember also these schools teach you pass the written test and provide just enough in my opinion Driving time to pass properly drive test in manuevering that truck and empty trailor around a town, maybe 2, and to properly back it into a space or dock. Yes you will pass if you pay attention. You'll watch movies on safety behind the wheel. And they should teach how to properly pre-trip your truck. Sounds easy till you hit the road. And include how to fill out a logbook. The real learning comes on the job.To properly load. Paperwork. Road conditions, snow ice, mountain driving. Make sure they are truly getting therre money worth from experienced instructors who had successful employment with trucking companies. Not the rejects who too many playing the part of instructors and out to make a buck.There are too many schools who should not be in business out there just waiting to releive people of their money.Death comes in an instant when you are poorly trained!! These schools are not cheap! Know one would pay big bucks for a fallen down shack. Why then place your life in the hands of an instructor of a school who is not qualified to help teach you all they can. A really good qualified instrutcor and what you learn can save your life out on the road, if they TAUGHT YOU WELL AND GAVE YOU GOOD INSIGHT IN WHAT TO EXPECT AND INSTRUCTION ON WHAT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE IN AN EMERGENCY!! Enough said! May all your Holidays be Blessed!!