View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Marilyn_Wiggs

Hi everyone. My name is Marilyn and I have been making quilts for about a year now. I've been sewing since Jr. high school. I'm retired, will be 62 in February 2011 and spend my days taking care of my 3 horses, visiting friends, watching certain tv shows and making quilts.

I have 4 children and 9 grandchildren. My daughter lives in Indiana and works in a manufacturing plant. My oldest son lives here and is an LA County Sheriff's Deputy. My next son lives here and is a Riverside County Sheriff's Deputy. My youngest son just separated from the Marine Corps after 5 years of service and 2 campaigns in Iraq. He and his lovely wife and my grandson are currently living with us until she can join the Coast Guard. He will be going to college to learn Fire Science and wants to be a fireman. My husband will be retiring in 5 years and wants to travel.

I have enough material to last me the rest of my life. I've made quilts that I donated to people who made donations to horse rescue organizations and now I am making quilts for disabled American vets, donating them to the DAV in San Bernardino and will be donating to a VFW. The VFW caters to the needs of disabled vets living in a vets home in Barstow, CA. My goal for them is to make 92 quilts sized for use by those in wheelchairs and 92 larger, throw size quilts for their beds.

I'm new at this and don't know how to do a lot of the quilt block designs. All I can do so far is the log cabin block and the "strip" blocks which are sewn onto foundation material. I tried making a triangle for the first time yesterday and found that to be easy to do. Now I just have to figure out how to make those gorgeous eight point stars.

I'm so glad I found this message board and, believe me, I will be devouring every word in an effort to learn how to do a variety of blocks so that I can get those quilts to the disabled vets.