Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Ramona Byrd

Darnit, I SHOULD have thought of this before. My late DH spent 3 years in a local nursing home, and when he died I just gave his clothes to it and never, ever thought of giving any more.

STUPID of me, now that I think of it. I was so devastated at losing him that I never wanted to see that place again.
Now I remember how well giving large cuddly teddy bears to the old men, and dressed and blanketed baby dolls to whomever wanted them, sure showed me how much they loved them. After receiving permission, I gave them out and one old lady accepted a doll, I reached over to pull down the blanket to show her the cute little face, and she started screaming that I was trying to kidnap her baby. One of the workers told me that she'd actually had a baby kidnapped briefly in her youth. And later said that the old lady refused to part with the doll, even had to undress it and take it into the bath with her, so it would not be kidnapped.
I'll try to find some more to take there, thanks for the reminder.
And the clothes should be loose and comfy, some of them are wheelchair bound and some are ambulatory so need regular clothing. Everything should be washable and easy to put on and take off.