View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by lavona
is it just me but it seems to me that a lot of peaple call a wallhanging a quilt but to me a quilt is to be used on a bed and take a lot of work while a wallhanging doesn't take as long and some are only 12 inch square and they are also called a quilt or is a quilt any thing that has quilting on it. i don't mean to offend just wondering
I have an idea for a quilted wall hanging that would be large enough to be a good sized quilt (so far the plans say 70" square). Like your typical quilt, there will be blocks that are pieced together in some way, there will be two layers of fabric separated by a layer of batting, the layers will be sewn together, and the edges will be finished off with binding. I also have a series of quilted stained glass style wall hangings in mind that aren't quite as huge, but because of the amount of detail and different type of fabrics they will use they'll take a lot of work to do in planning, selecting fabrics, and quilting.

I think its wrong to say a quilted wall hanging doesn't count as a quilt because it doesn't take as much time to make. There are many wall hangings out there that do take as much time and, if anything, thought and effort as a quilt you would use as a bed spread, even if they aren't as big as a regular quilt.

And what about quilts where the quilter used shortcuts and tips to make the quilting process go faster? Are they not quilts because they were whipped up in a shirt amount of time and didn't go through a huge undertaking to make them?