View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by amma
It may be that when you are starting to cut, you are bumping the blade into the ruler. Or pushing the blade into the ruler instead of alongside of it. This will cause knicks in the blade and the skipped cuts you are describing :D:D:D
I try to make sure the ruler is right up against the ruler before cutting, but I don't really push up against it while cutting.

But one thing I noticed was possibly my blade wasn't screwed on very tightly. I had taken the blade off because black lint had built up underneath the blade guard and I took the blade off to remove it. I made sure the blade was put on right, but maybe I didn't screw it back on tightly enough. It was on pretty tight, but on further inspection I noticed it could wobble the slightest bit. I tightened the screw so that the blade would still turn, but would move from side to side. Unfortunatly I'm out of fabric for the moment so I can't test out this theory.
check to see if you put the nut back on the right way. there should not be play in the blade. the older white colored mats are terrible on blades. if your blade is sharp, you really should not have to press hard. remember how a new blade cuts ?? It should be that way all the time.
I find it easier to change often than re-cut threads. a little drop of oil under the blade when you change is good too. be sure to cut through some scraps in case of oily residue.
but don't wipe ! good way to get cut.