Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM
hevemi

Originally Posted by smitty
Originally Posted by bearisgray
After you decide on "what" - send out a supply list so that the students will have/bring what they need.

There will always be one or two that will have "forgotten" or "not got around to gettting whatever"''

If you are teaching in a shop - spending/shopping opportunity -

but if you are teaching in a community center - do you bring "extras" - or do you let the student "learn to be a responsible adult"?
Kits can be a good choice for beginners also. no stress of colors, yardage, etc. I would start on a small quilt that uses several techniques. "little projects" are sometimes just time wasters & they still do not have the hang of a 1/4" seam (a must learn !),how to cut with rotary cutter, etc. split rail, 4 patch, etc.
anyone who does not bring the correct supplies after they rec'd a good supply list should not be allowed to "share" with someone else & waste everyone's time. Adults know what they should do. A class can be ruined by the selfish person. sometimes you really need to spot that person right away & derail them.
there is a lot to learn, just basics are so easy for us because they are now old hat, but the beginner takes a lot more time to master cutting, etc.
I am thinking you said adults--right ? maybe you could even do a supply list AFTER the first class. the first night could be talking about fabrics, kinds of cutters, rulers, etc. this might save someone from making a mistake by trying to save money but not realizing why they need certain things. A "show & Tell" of some of your finished projects would be a sure ice breaker and hit !
I agree with "not sharing" but how about small scale swapping? You could make pillow cases with quilted bands (squares, rail fence etc.) from your OWN fabrics, but as you'll end up with some left overs your students could trade and maybe also get some idea of the "sisterhood"?