Old 12-09-2010, 02:31 AM
AnneT

Over here in Germany, we celebrate Christmas A LOT, mainly on the 24. At least this is what the kids would tell you, b/c on this evening we exchange presents, which are under the tree. Most people have natural trees, me too. I just LOVE the smell of a fresh tree.
Christmas-Stockings are not common over here, nor Santa coming through the chimney. In catholic areas, baby Christ "Christkind" brings the presents, which is the job for "Weihnachtsmann", a kinda Santa Claus for the evangelic/lutheran (?) ones. There are no special or new pajamas for Christmas either.

Attending the midnight service is very popular, therefore the churches are crowded!!

The traditional meal on 25. would be goose or (poached) carp. There is a special german pastry called "Christstollen". Originally it's from Dresden. It is a heavy one and not easy to digest and contains lots of raisins, almonds and of course butter. You eat lots of "Lebkuchen" over here, kinda ginger bread, the most famous ones come from Nürnberg. We have a broad variety of cookies for this season anyway, YUMMY!
Not to forget about the Christmas Carols like "Silent night", a classical german carol.
You see, this is a season very dear to me :).
I'm looking forward to reading if and how other countries celebrate. Thank you for the lovely idea of starting this thread!
Merry Christmas to all of you :).