Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Hi everyone, I've been roped into offering a class at community school this year. It's one evening a week, 7-9, for 9 weeks and the 'class' is for people who haven't sewed before but are specifically interested in quilting. I'd like to send everyone home with at least two small completed projects, and I was thinking about coasters or potholders for Valentine's Day and maybe a small mug rug for St. Patrick's Day. I'm also thinking about an evening of basic mending (sewing on a button?), and simple embroidery (stem stitch, couple of others). I'd love any and all ideas, suggestions, guidelines.........any HELP at all. It's my first foray into teaching and after worming my way out of volunteering for the 4th year in a row, the guilt has finally gotten to me.
I just want anyone who comes out to this to see how much fun fabric is, and to feel free enough to enjoy it. Love to hear from you, and thanks, it's a great board.
Even though the class is for people who have not sewn before you will always get people that do know a little about sewing and they either show off or just get things done faster than most so be ready for the faster learners. I always got bored in a class that moved to slow.
I think a lap quilt is great for a starter project , if they don't want it when it is done it can be donated to a hospital or retirement home. Have a great time teaching this class, wish I could be there to help you, I love beginners. MNM