Thread: quilting guilds
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Robinlee

I have belonged to a few(moved a few times). My first 3 were great, the last one from the area that I just moved from - I am happy to not be apart of. The new quild, I will meet them this coming monday night. I have heard they are active like the first 3 and not clique`. The last one, they need some new blood, which I was 3 years ago......but that isn't all they need. Think of "the deer in the headlights look", most wouldn't volunteer to help assist with activities, but darn sure wanted to participate. I became president, they all (and I) thought this would help, but most evenings I came home very disappointed among atleast 3-4 others I imagine felt the same. I was able to impliment some new activities and programs, but I feel sorry for the 3-4 others that want so very much to make this group work. And thinkin' about it now, maybe I did move them alittle, my sister-in-law will have to let me know in a couple months.

I join for the adult female conservation that doesn't always included my DH, and promote the many activities that most guilds do. I don't mind the meetings, unless they are longer then 45 minutes long. I was the state chair for a national organization, and meetings should not last longer then 45-60 minutes long and should include some service and community activities. On occassion will visit the very most active group and miss them dearly that I belonged to, and my sister JAG has joined them in the last couple years.

So my advice to you..........check them out, even take a few show -n- tells for the first meeting, this will be a real big sign as to how they and you will precive each other. I am one of those people that want to jump right in, but always remember to watch whom feet you might step on. And remember........enjoy yourself and make it educational for all (you and others).

Originally Posted by patski
Hi, anyone out there part o a guild? What do you get out of being part of one?

Worth the time and money? Is it just about meetings or more?