Thread: quilting guilds
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Shemjo

I belong to a guild that is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year, 2010. I have been a member off and on for most of that time, and an officer a couple times, and we are around 100 members strong. We have a quilt show every other year, monthly evening meetings with speakers, a yearly retreat, Saturday classes taught by guild members, or out of town speakers for a fee. We have charity quilts, optional blocks each month, a substantial lending library, a yearly challenge, and all levels and ages of quilters. We do welcome men, but discourage children below teen years. I do believe we are responsive to the needs of our memebers, offering classses in current tehniques and by request from members. We have a welcome volunteer to take new people through the meeting and answer questions and have a friendly face to meet and greet. I LOVE show and tell, and have met many very talented quilters. My skills have gone from zero to accomplished so that I am willing to try new techniques. We offer a meeting at a member's home once a month, and two evenings a month at a local library for more informal gatherings.
I agree with previous posters who say you get out of the guild more than you put in, but it does require effort on my part to be active, and to reach out to others. There are always some people who are more outgoing and friendly than others, but most are receptive to one on one chatter. New members who volunteer for Raffle Basket, or library and work with another member learn more and feel more a part of the group.
I LOVE MY GUILD!