Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
mackandblues

So I'm a newbie quilter with a couple finished quilts under my belt. I love love love scrappy quilts and have like a mental list of 10 different ones I want to do. So I went out and bought several hundred dollars worth of fabric (don't want to add it up - ignorance is bliss, right?) to develop a stash. I'm still working on prewashing/ironing everything but I am overwhelmed by how much fabric I have. Most of it is at least 1/2 yard long, some fat quarters and some a yard or two long.

So, my question, I've been reading www.quiltville.com and Bonnie recommends cutting up your scraps into usable pieces like strips, square, and rectangles. But I'm starting a scrap stash from scratch. So what should I do? I'm thinking of cutting my 1/2 yards into fat quarters then cutting 1 of the fat quarters up into strips like 5", 3", 2.5", 2" and 1.5" then saving the other fat quarter. you can always make squares, and rectangles out of strips, right? I just don't want to waste my fabric since I spent so much money on it but its overwhelming to have it folded up into piles. What do ya'll do? Thanks in advance.