Thread: quilting guilds
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
So sad hearing all the bad experiences of guilds.

When I moved 17 years ago, the first place I went in town was to the local quilt shop, and the second was to the quilt guild. I have been a member 15 out of the last 17 years (work conflict for a couple of years) rejoining again this last year. It is something I look forward to each month.
We do have a very active guild, over 150 members, each meeting includes a speaker or program, we have lots of workshops each year, we do charity quilts, there is show and tell, a Christmas party, a wonderful library of books to check out, and more.

I am a part of a small quilt group, and I know through the guild many small groups have started up-usually by someone standing up during show and tell and asking if others would like to have a group...many friendships have started that way amongst guild members.

If you are going to be new to a guild, it can be at first hard to feel like you fit in, but talking to others about their quilts is a good way to start a conversation, working on charity quilts with others is another way, joining a committee also gets you involved. Before you know it you will feel like part of the group.
I want to stress that my experience was not bad, just not me. They are a great bunch.