View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Corky

NOTE: I found the info I was looking for. Its on Elizabeth Hartman's blog (Oh Fransson!) Here is the link:

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...g-fabric-.html

Well, I know that some quilters do use linen as a fabric for quilts, but that is different then hand painted wall hanging.

What a project.

Keep up posted.

I will look up the quilters who use linen and let you know. Maybe you can email them for advice?

Originally Posted by grammyp
Call me crazy, but I am making some quilts for a friend at work. A bit of history. She has a collection of hand painted linen wall hangings (with rolled edges) from Australia and wants them made into quilts for her sons. She brought them to me along with 2 very fluffy comforters she wanted them applied to. I convinced her the comforters would not work and wasn't sure the linen would make good quilts, how about just using them as wall hangings? Nope wants quilts, don't cut them, just put together and quilt. I'm afraid to wash them cause they will really shrink. I have some unwashed muslin I can use for the back (she is ok with that), and I keep Warm and Natural batting by the roll. I will have to draw sewing lines and pin carefully to get them to fit together (can't cut them remember).

Now to my question. Does anyone have any experience with using linen in quilts. I am so afraid she is going to regret this and don't want to put much quilting into it in case she decides to take them apart at some time. She has been collecting these for a long time, and I really don't want to destroy them.