Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Mesissy

Originally Posted by oma66
Originally Posted by Mesissy
Originally Posted by oma66
Originally Posted by Mesissy
Please explain because i dont understand from looking at the pictures. I'm an idiot. lol Thanks
2 contrasting squares of fabric, right sides facing.
sew 1/4 inch seam allowance on all four sides
cut diagonally top left to bottom right, do not move the sqs. then cut diagonally top right to bottom left
now you have 4 half square triangles

When I did it for a second quilt, I places my 9 1/2 inch ruler on point so I did not get bias edges. It takes more fabric that way, but if you do not like working with bias edges, place your ruler on point, otherwise, just cut the sqs. cross grain. I do both depending on the amount of fabric I have to work with. hope this helps.
Thanks again......one other quick question, please. Is it possible to make quarter size triangles with this type of method? I want to make the Card Trick pattern quilt but it has quarter triangles in it. Thanks so much Cheryl
Cheryl, no you can not make quarter sq. triangles using the same method as the half sq. triangles, but you can use the half sq. triangles to make quarter sq triangles using the method below.

Take two of the hst and match up the seams, putting colors opposite each other as in photo two (got photos out order).
Now draw a line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner as in photo one. Sew 1/4 inch seam on each side of the line. Now cut apart on the drawn line, always using a ruler and cutter. Now you have two qst. See how easy it is. Make sure your drawn line is very accurate from point to point exactly. This method saves a lot of time.
I hope I explained it well enough.
Thanks ever so much. Hugs Cheryl