View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM
montanajan

Originally Posted by Chele
Oh, and I don't know that this will encourage or discourage people, but let's donate these somehow. Or keep them. Entirely up to the individual, but I think I would more motivated if my scrap quilt went to build a charity or put a smile on a family member. If you really love it though, please keep it! I'm easy! :D Just have fun! Great idea, Wendy! Recycling is so 2008!
Donation quilts are fun & rewarding. Check with your local agencies to see who can use them. Here are a few who need/use quilts in our area - lap quilts for local Veteran's Home, Quilts of valor (national organization - quilts for our wounded soldiers), shelters, homes for abused/neglected children , nursing homes, day care centers. Remember these quilts will be well-loved, so must be made to withstand multiple washings. Many of these quilts become permanent possessions of the recipient.
And one more scrap use - not exactly quilting, but our local animal shelter loves to receive doggie beds filled with all our cotton scraps not large enough to use on a quilt top. The outer fabric should be pretty sturdy; "filling" can be any scraps otherwise tossed away. These keep animals off the cold floors, & get washed & reused until they fall apart.